I enjoy creating useful Internet projects, both as work and as a hobby
My strongest professional skill — PHP
And framework of choice is Symfony
- Got introduced to it on an existing e-commerce platform at Intexsys, used later for replacing legacy email subscription management system with a shiny new one.
- Used for a new service for retrieving road closures data from various APIs at Mappost.
- Placewatch, my pet project and technical playground, runs on Symfony as well.
- Used Laravel at Printify, Zend Framework at Mogo, Slim Framework at Car Rental Gateway.
- Wrote a standalone library with plugins for Laravel and Yii2 at Printful.
- In early years, reinvented the wheel by creating my own framework for Zurbu. Who didn't?
- And framework of choice is Symfony
- Relational ones like MySQL and PostgreSQL. That's ubiquitous.
- NoSQL, too: ElasticSearch, Redis, MongoDB…
- Did anyone say embedded? Placewatch data export is based on SQLite.
- RabbitMQ. First met at Intexsys, used extensively for creating internal publish-subscribe library at Printful. The latter also included Protobuf serialization.
- Used PostgreSQL for simpler queues at Placewatch.
- Docker. Almost everywhere nowadays.
- Configured Placewatch servers with Ansible.
- Implemented deployments with Bitbucket Pipelines at Mappost, and GitHub Actions at Placewatch.
Even though I'm more of a back-end person, I maintain some interest in front-end, too
- HTML and CSS — often happy to see new features get more green boxes at caniuse.com.
Stepping out of a comfort zone
- Used NodeJS for a new microservice at Car Rental Gateway.
- Wrote some Java code using Spring Framework for a legacy microservice at Printify.
- Played around with Go for Placewatch.
- Created a very basic but useful Android app for Placewatch.
- Migrated existing Mappost codebase from SVN to Git — few simple commands, lots of explaining, introducing Gitflow-based processes, mentoring, and other people skills.
- IT Micro was a small company with lots of integrations. 10 countries, 33 mobile carriers, 10 languages, 19 APIs used for carrier lookups, WAP billing, SMS sending and receiving — apart from technical flexibility, this also required constant external communication.
- Agile, Scrum. Captain Obvious asked me to write this line.
- As a company owner, I am able to work on B2B contracts.
- I am fluent in English, Russian and Latvian.
- Able to read, write basic texts and hold everyday conversations in German.
- Generally curious about unfamiliar ones. Once even implemented an API integration using documentation in Romanian at Mogo.